ERNESTO SIROLLI - TEDTalk: SHUTUP AND LISTEN
YOU ARE NOT THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER
You cannot substitute your own viewpoints for that of the customer
Designer whom design for themselves often have a market size of one
Many times your assumptions are later found to be incorrect
Example: Japanese customers favored exotic cell phone styling over drop durability because, in their culture, they held themselves responsible for damage caused by drops. This market was willing to accept that tradeoff.
- Interviews are much more complex that they seem
- Interviewees should not be interogated, but instead asked to tell stories
- The objective is to identify the emotions related to their customer journey
- It is important not to influence interviewees with leading questions
- Personas are used as sounding boards when designing solutions
CUSTOMER JOURNEY MAPS
- Issues that cause dissatisfaction should be addressed, while those that create delight should be institutionalized.
- A journey begins with a core backbone (example below) done at a very high level. Each step can be further drilled down to address the specific sub-tasks and objectives for each step.
UDACITY ON UNDERSTANDING PERSONAS
TOM KELLY ON THE POWER OF OBSERVATION
(GAINING INSIGHTS THAT MAKE YOU A MARKET LEADER)
THE KEY TO BETTER PRODUCTS AND SERVICES